Most people refer to the Lodge as being “Barry Lodge”, but it is with a sense of pride in their history that one is corrected by Lodge members who will point out that the correct title is
“The Barry Lodge.”
In the Frontispiece of the Centennial History of the Barry Lodge 1890 – 1990 are the words –
This frontispiece was relevant in 1990, and these words are equally applicable and appropriate today.
The Barry Lodge Brethren have always described themselves in the following manner, the words are not used in any way boastfully, but represents the deep and true feelings of our Lodge Brethren –
In our Lodge,
- The Past is represented by the Immediate Past Master,
- The Present is represented by the Worshipful Master.
- and the Future belongs to every Initiate.
It is seldom in the history of Freemasonry that the histories of One Hundred and Seventeen years of a Lodge follow so closely those of the town after which it is named. Such however is most certainly the case with The Barry Lodge No. 2357, which was consecrated on the 11th September 1890, only some fourteen short months after the opening of the Barry Docks on the 18th July 1889.
It is thus that the history of The Barry Lodge has been so closely associated with that of the town and docks. The three small villages of Cadoxton-juxta-Barry, Merthyr Dyfan and Barry had a combined population in 1881 of only some 478 residents, mostly a Welsh speaking agricultural community. A line of woods surrounded the area in the north, east and west, making communications very difficult, except by sea. At the Harbour was the Old Storehouse notorious for its association with smugglers who plied their trade throughout the 17th and 18th centuries, and even into the 19th century. In 1883 and 1884 the Trustees of the Marquis of Bath exercised a monopoly over the coal trade in South Wales with docks at Cardiff and Penarth. It took two Bills presented to the Hose of Commons and the House of Lords to finally receive Royal Assent on the 14th August 1884.
Within five short years on the 18th July 1889 the S.S. Arno steamed through the dock gates and the first wagon load of coal was “tipped” at 11.30 a.m. into the S.S. Ravenshoe, the official ceremony closing with a luncheon in a dockside marquee.
Such was the success of the exportation of coal that by 1890, some 3,192,691 tons of coal were exported; this had increased by 1913 to 11,049,711 tons, thus making Barry Docks the largest and most important coal exporting dock in the whole of the United Kingdom.
The port was at its most prosperous between 1890 and the outbreak of the First World War. A consequence of which was the influx of immigrants into the area from all over the United Kingdom.
This influx, and the further growth of Freemasons in the Barry area put pressure on the necessity of the formation of a new Lodge in Barry. The Brethren of the Glamorgan Lodge (No.36) gave their support to the Petition forwarded to Grand Lodge.
The Petition was successful, and on Thursday 11th September 1890 the Consecration of The Barry Lodge took place at the Dunraven Hall, opposite Cadoxton Railway Station, Vere Street, Cadoxton-juxta Barry at precisely twelve noon.
Of seventeen founder member Lodges, three Lodges, namely - The Glamorgan No. 36; Bute No. 960; and Windsor No. 1754 truly formed the nucleus of the newly formed The Barry Lodge. It is their names that are shown on the original Petition, the cost of which was the then, princely sum of £12.12s.6d
In the years immediately following the Consecration of The Barry Lodge, Freemasonry in the District developed, became organised and increased in both strength and numbers.
In September 1890 the By-Laws of the Lodge together with the Fees were established. The Initiation Fee being £7.7s.0d, that for Joining Members at £2.2s.0d, and the Annual Subscription £1.1s.0d.
It was also agreed that two black balls should exclude an applicant from membership.
It is interesting to note that on the 3rd October 1894 for the first time, the retiring Master installed his successor.
This was the beginning of the regular practice adopted by the Lodge.
Within ten years the decision was taken to move from rooms at the Lodge premises situated at the Royal Hotel, Cadoxton to Rooms No’s 15, 16, and 17 situated on the second floor of the Barry Hotel, Barry. which had been converted for the exclusive use of The Barry Lodge.
Rooms 16 and 17 were converted into one large room at the expense of the hotel owners. The rent payable by the Lodge by equal quarterly payments was £30.0 per annum, the agreement to run from June 1900, coal and gas were included in the rent.
That the town of Barry itself was growing, due to the commencement of the building of a second docks, can be seen by the Local Government Board issuing an order dated 15th February 1896 that the old Parishes of Barry, Cadoxton-juxta-Barry, and Merthyr Dyfan become known as the Parish of Barry. This growth was reflected by the Local Government Board issuing an order dated 15th February 1896 that the old Parishes of Barry, Cadoxton-juxta-Barry, and Merthyr Dyfan become known as the Parish of Barry.
One of the main reasons for the proposed move was that the number of Brethren in the Lodge had risen from 17 Founder Members in 1890 to 120 Brethren in 1900.
Let us move forward to the year 1903, when the Wor Master mentioned, in open Lodge the case of a Brother who had either to be buried by the Parish or by the Lodge. The Wor Master instructed the Secretary to defray the expenses out of the Lodge funds, and he then asked the Brethren to confirm his actions, which was done with unanimity. The cost involved was Seven Guineas.
In 1904 with the lease of the Lodge Rooms at the Barry Hotel due to expire in June 1905, the Lodge Committee considered a letter from Hancocks the owners of the Barry Hotel that they were prepared to renew the lease for three years, subject to the rental being increased from £30 to £50 per annum.
After a lengthy discussion a sub-committee was formed for the purpose of building a Masonic Hall.
Recorded in the Lodge Minutes are the details of the discussions that took place over numerous sites in the Town until eventually after much heart searching and debate it was resolved that the Lodge be removed from the Barry Hotel site as soon as practicable, and that a Sites Committee be given full powers to have a purpose built Lodge on ground adjacent to the Barry Hotel.
The Committee did not let “the grass grow under their feet”, they met on 13th January 1905, made an offer of five pence per square yard for the plot of land adjoining the BarryHotel.
The company of Messrs William Hancock being the owners of the land were pleased to let the 35 feet frontage by 100 feet for the specific building of a Masonic Hall , at a ground rent of £10 per annum, on a lease of 999 years, with an option to purchase. The ground rent for the first year being a peppercorn rent.
The company requested a reply within fourteen days. One can well imagine the lengthy discussions that took place, details being recorded in the Lodge Minute Books. The outcome being that Messrs Hancock’s offer was accepted.
Next, the question of the formation of a Company came under discussion, and very quickly a Trust Company was proposed, comprising of some seven or ten Trustees who would form the Company by each taking one share to hold in trust for The Barry Lodge No. 2357.
They would have powers to acquire land and erect a Hall for Masonic purposes. Have powers to issue debentures which would be redeemable by The Barry Lodge as funds admitted. An Architect was appointed. On 27th June the Committee met for the purpose of opening the Tenders for the new Masonic Hall.
Once again several Committee Meetings were the order of the day, until finally the Tender of Mr W.T. Morgan of Cardiff in the sum of £2,625.1s.0d was accepted. It was also at this meeting that the Articles of Association of the New Company were approved.
Considerable time and effort was devoted to the preparation for the building of the New Masonic Temple, the business of the Lodge however also continued apace.
At the Election night meeting it was interesting to read recorded in the Minutes that The Wor Master congratulated Bro C.W. Vine on his being “Up and about again and able to attend the Lodge after his severe illness in endeavouring to save a person from drowning on Barry Island.”
The Installation Meeting should have been held on 10th October 1905, but the Secretary was instructed to apply for dispensation to alter the date to 16th October. He also sought permission for the wearing of Masonic Jewels and Regalia outside the building for the purpose of laying the Foundation Stone.
As if he did not have enough to do, he was also responsible for contacting the Great Western Railway Company regarding a train to meet the Rt Wor Provincial Grand Master at Cardiff, and if necessary a Special Train to travel to Barry.
This busy Secretary had to further arrange to obtain all the articles necessary for the Ceremony of the laying of the Foundation Stone, such as Cornucopia, Ewers, Roll of Officers, Book of Constitution, and Bye-Laws of both Barry Lodge and Provincial Grand Lodge, local newspapers, coins of the realm for placing underneath the Stone, The Provincial Grand Lodge Circular and The Barry Lodge Circular.
A very full and comprehensive report of the days activities was fully reported, not only in the Lodge Minutes, but also in the “Barry Dock News” the local newspaper, this serves surely to illustrate the very close relationship that existed at that time with the local Press.
The Meeting itself was a great success with some 236 persons attending.
The Wor Master stated that he had received notification that a Brother of The Barry Lodge, Bro C.T. Pratt, had lost his life by drowning in an attempt to save his ship by swimming ashore with a line.
He was swept back because of the rough sea and was stunned against the stern of the vessel. His body was not recovered. The Vote of Condolence sent to his widow referred to this heroic action on Bro Pratt’s part.
The last Regular Meeting of The Lodge at the Barry Hotel was on 13th March 1906, and it was here that the Wor Master stated that the collection taken up by the Stewards at each Regular Lodge Meeting had been the means of relieving deserving cases without involving the use of Lodge Funds.
He expressed the hope that this Charity Collection would continue to be made at every Regular Lodge, and it is with pride that The Barry Lodge can say –
And such has been the case ever since.
Time moved inevitably along, and it was in 1911 that Royal Arch Masonry was established in Barry
In 1913 the Barry Docks had exported some 11,049,711 tons of coal, and could quite rightly claim to be the premier coal exporting port in the whole of the country. After 1913 the trade declined, partly as a consequence of the oncoming war, and partly because of the unsettled conditions of the post-war coal trade.
1914 – 1918
It seems very strange that looking back through the Lodge Minutes that at an Emergency meeting of the Lodge held on Wednesday5th August 1914, that the minutes do not record the outbreak of World War I on the 4th August.
At the September meeting of the Lodge a letter from Provincial Grand Lodge was read which dealt with the arrangement for Lodges during the period of hostilities.
Such was the enthusiasm for the War in its early months that at the December meeting a letter and circular was read in open Lodge asking for recruits to form a Freemasons’ Corps.
Reading the Loge minutes of the years 1914, 1915 and 1916, one could be excused for saying that they were in many ways uneventful years, uneventful in that the Lodge tried to continue as normal, meeting regularly, but to others the word uneventful was far from the truth, perhaps to some, reading of the reports of Brethren who had lost sons, brothers and loved ones in the War it was obvious that these were both terrible and tragic times.
Time however did pass, along with great pain and sorrow as its accompaniment, and it was Phillip Gibbs who wrote of the 11th November 1918:
“At eleven o’clock that morning all the armies ceased fire. No more men were to be killed, no more to be mangled no more to be blinded. The last of the world’s boyhood were reprieved. And that night for the first time since August 1914 there was no light of gunfire in the sky. The fires of hell had been put out. It was silent all along the Front with the beautiful silence of the nights of peace. Travelling back from Mons I listened to this silence which followed the going down of the sun, and heard the rustling of the russet leaves and the little sounds of night in peace.”
It was in the following year, 1919, that a new Lodge, named the Vale of Glamorgan Lodge No. 3977 was formed.
At the Lodge Meeting of 10th June 1919 a letter was read from Grand Lodge that pre-war dress in Lodge be re-introduced, and it was agreed that this would apply from the September meeting.
It was at this same meeting that the Master was asked to accept, as a Peace Offering, a handsome new pipe-organ which had been erected in the Temple, this same organ was in continuous operation until 2004, when it having been causing problems for some time was examined by experts, and a very substantial amount of money was required for its repair and overhaul, and even if these large sums been forthcoming, there was no real guarantee as to how long-lasting these repairs would be effective.
An Organ Appeal was launched, and many Brethren and Lodges contributed, but in view of the engineers reports being so disappointing, all monies were returned with grateful thanks, to their subscribers, and it was decided to keep the beautiful façade and pipe layout.
The problem was solved when a new electronic organ was very generously donated by W. Bro E.T. Wood. P.Pr.S.G.W. “Ted” Woods , Past Master of The Vale of Glamorgan Lodge, No. 3977. “To celebrate over 55 years in Freemasonry” November 2000.
We now move on, and it was in January 1924 that the Treasurer informed the Finance, Standing and Scrutinising Committee that he had £304 in the Redemption Fund, which was enough to purchase the freehold of the land on which the Masonic Hall was built.
It was also at this meeting that it was agreed to purchase a Hoover Vacuum Cleaner. Barry Lodge had certainly moved forward with the times!
It was in March 1927 that the Deputy Provincial Grand Master referred to the signal honour conferred upon W.Bro George Wareham by the Grand Master, H.R.H. the Duke of Connaught, and stated that W.Bro Wareham had been offered and has accepted the collar of P.A.G.D.C. bin the Grand Lodge of England.
This honour was soon followed by that of P.G.Std.B in Supreme Grand Chapter.
These were the first Grand Lodge Collars given to an initiate of The Barry Lodge
In 1928 the Masonic Hall Trust Company were loaned the sum of £100 because of the huge decline in the number of lettings on the Hall, consequent upon the full effects of the depression in trade, industry and commerce being felt in a town almost wholly dependent upon the coal export trade, and now in a state of deep depression.
It was at this time that the Market Hall next door to the Masonic Hall had become the Romilly Cinema, owned by a Mr Baker who had installed an Electric Generator to provide the power necessary for the showing of films and the illumination of the building. The generator must have been noisy in that it disturbed the Lodge Room, the Secretary being instructed to write to Mr Baker drawing his attention to the noise “caused by the Electric Engine”.
Some four years later in 1932 it was agreed that the Lodge would undertake the electric lighting of the whole of the Masonic buildings , the ventilation of the Masonic Hall, and the redecoration of the premises from the ground floor to the door of the ante-room, at a cost not exceeding £500.
Up until this time the wind for the playing of the TempleOrgan had been provided manually, one can imagine the delight with which the news that Bro George White of Whites Shows, BarryIsland had offered the gift of an electric motor for the purpose of “working the bellows of the Lodge organ”
The offer was gratefully accepted. Bro White had also offered to present a Volume of the Sacred Law to the Lodge, and this too was accepted with gratitude.
The relationship between The Barry Lodge and the Masonic Hall Trust Company Limited is a peculiar one. It will be recalled that the original cost of the building was approximately £3,000, which was met by the transfer of £500 from The Barry Lodge funds, and the issue of Debenture Shares bearing a 4 ½% interest. From the commencement The Barry lodge bought a number of Debentures, thus reducing the amount held privately, until by 1930 only £400 remained outside the possession of the Lodge. In February 1930 these outstanding Debentures were purchased by the Lodge. Consequently, The Barry Lodge then held all the shares in the Masonic Hall Trust Co., Ltd.
It might be difficult why some may find it hard to understand why a separate Company with its own Committee was necessary to operate the Masonic Hall. This situation arises from the fact that Freemasonry is considered as a secret fraternity, and in this country, secret societies are not allowed to manage property. A Corporate body has to do so on their behalf. Consequently the Finance, Standing and Investigation Committee of the Lodge deals with Lodge matters and with its Masonic work only. The Masonic Hall Trust Co., Ltd., deals with the maintenance, cost and revenue of the building itself.
The Company, therefore, managed the premises for the Lodge, and was in the 1930’s composed of the Wor Master, for the time being, as Chairman, and members of the Lodge appointed to its Committee. As, at that time, the Masonic Hall Trust Co., Ltd., consisted solely of members of the Lodge, it was merely a question of transferring funds from one account to another.
It was in 1936, described in our records as the year of the Three Kings, George V, Edward VIII and George VI.
King George V died on the 20th January, and was succeeded by Edward VIII, then forty-one years of age. At precisely 1.52 p.m. on the 10th December, the Crown passed from the King as he sat at luncheon with Winston Churchill. That was the moment when the Clerk of the Parliaments droned “Le Roy le veult” to the Abolition Act.
In the evening he broadcast for the last time, and a few hours later the Duke of Windsor sailed in the destroyer “Fury” for Europe.
The new reign of George VI was refined and correct, the Coronation taking place on the 12th May.
The Lodge was observing mourning for the death of King George V when news of the devastating Quetta earthquake, which occurred in India, was conveyed to the Temple. Masonic lodges were asked to contribute One Guinea each per member towards the “Quetta” Fund in aid of the people of India who were victims of this natural disaster. The Barry Lodge fulfilled its obligations and contributed to the fund to the amount requested.
It was on 13th April that the Finance, Standing and Investigation Committee agreed that an engraved plate be affixed to the Ship’s Bell presented to the Barry Lodge by Captain George Matthew Hudson of the Merchant Navy, and that it be suitably inscribed. It was further agreed that “The bell shall be struck at all After-meetings of the Lodge”. Ever since, it has been the custom for the Barry Lodge to place the Ship’s Bell in front of the Worshipful Master’s seat at the high table. At or near 22.00 hours, during the After-proceedings, it is customary to drink a toast to all Absent Brethren, and to strike four bells on the Ship’s Bell.
Whenever a new Initiate joins The Barry Lodge the following “History of the Ship’s Bell” is delivered.
HISTORY OF THE BARRY LODGE BELL.
It has been customary in The Barry Lodge at, or as near as possible to 10.00 p.m. during the After-Proceedings to drink a Toast to all Absent Brethren, and to STRIKE FOUR BELLS on the Ships Bell, which is always placed in front of the Worshipful Master on the Dining Table.
The Bell was presented to The Barry Lodge by the late Brother GEORGE HUDSON, who was a Master Mariner, and who personally provided the Lodge with the history of the Bell.
In 1936 I was lying in the port of ABU ZENIMA in the Sinai Peninsula with Mount Sinai in the distance. One morning when ashore on ship’s business, I watched the British Manager of the firm for whom I was taking a cargo, as he cast a cover for a valve on one of the locomotives. When he tested the casting for cracks it emitted a beautiful bell-like sound and I intimated to him that I would like a Bell of the same metal.
When he found out the use to which the Bell would be put, he gladly undertook the task, and put twenty-one pounds of Bell Metal into the casting.
He then made himself known as a Past Master of a Lodge in Bedford.
The Bell finally came to rest in The Barry Lodge No. 2357 in July 1938.
In December 2002, the Bell was completely stripped, cleaned and polished by W.Bro Don Oliver, himself a past member of the Merchant Navy, and a member of the Penarth Lodge. to whom the Brethren of The Barry Lodge are very grateful.
To Order Brethren, as we observe the Toast –
( FOUR BELLS ARE RANG )
“TO ABSENT BRETHREN.”
At its meeting on 8th June 1939 the Finance, Standing and Investigation Committee considered the question of celebrating appropriately the coming Jubilee Year of The Barry Lodge, and agreed that the event should be suitably marked. It was proposed that the celebration should be held, by special dispensation, on the 11th September 1940.
At midnight on Sunday 13th September 1939, the Cabinet met and instructed the British Ambassador, who gave notice at 9.00 a.m. on the 3rd September, that unless the German Government agreed within two hours to withdraw its troops from Poland, which the German Army had invaded, Great Britain would declare war.
At 11.15 a.m. the Prime Minister, Mr Neville Chamberlain, broadcast from Downing Street, the announcement that Great Britain was at war with Germany.
On the 5th September the Finance, Standing and Investigation Committee met to discuss among other matters, the special conditions arising out of the National Emergency due to the outbreak of war, as they affected the meetings of the Lodge. The Wor Master and the Secretary communicated the result of their initial enquiries regarding the existing blackout and catering for the after-proceeding.
However on the 4th September a letter was sent by the Grand Secretary to all Lodges suspending all Masonic meetings until further notice.
The war itself was quickly brought home to the Lodge when at the December meeting of the it was announced that the Master of the S.S. “Travanian” recently reported as not having reached port, and therefore presumed lost at sea, was a member of The Barry Lodge, namely Bro J.A. Edwards. Thankfully at the January meeting news was reported of Bro J.A. Edwards, who whilst his ship had indeed been sunk by enemy action was himself safe, and looking forward to returning to his home port of Barry.
The proposed celebration of the Fiftieth Anniversary of the Lodge was abandoned because of the conditions then pertaining and after consultation with the Deputy Provincial Grand Master.
The Battle of Britain had raged throughout September, and on one day, the 15th, 185 German planes had been destroyed, Britain having only lost thirty planes with ten pilots safe.
At the same time the Battle of the Atlantic was in full swing during the week ended the 20th October, thirty two British ships, totalling 146,528 tons, were sunk by enemy action. Seven Allied ships of 24,686 tons and six neutral ships of 26,816 tons were also lost.
Barry Dock, Wales’ famous coal seaport, lost more merchant seamen in the Second World War than any other seaport of comparable size in Britain
Amongst many reports to the Lodge were those of congratulations being extended to Bro C.A. Gentles who had received the honour of the Order of the British Empire through successful action against an enemy submarine, and also to Bro J.A. Edwards who had received the Lloyd’s Medal for Distinguished Conduct at Sea in connection with the “Graf Spee” Battle of the River Plate episode.
Many Lodge meetings received reports of Brethren being killed, missing in action, taken prisoner. Sometimes, a happier note was sounded when a Brother presumed lost was reported to be alive and well, albeit a Prisoner of War.
It was in 1945 that eventually the Second World War came to its long awaited ending with Germany surrendered unconditionally, and with the Atomic Bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki the Second World War was over.
In 1946 it was agreed to form a new Lodge, named the Porthkerry Lodge.
Just two years later in 1948 it was agreed to form the Old Barrians Lodge.
In 1949 there were over twenty Candidates for Initiation on the list, and there was no sign of an abatement in Applications for Membership.
The Fifties and Early Sixties. (1952 – 1963).
The geographical situation of the South Wales ports meant that during the Second World War ships using them were less liable to enemy attack, and at one time a third of the dry cargo of the United Kingdom, over 80,000,000 tons, was handled.
But the decline continued during the post-war period to such an extent that by the early 1950’s the coal trade, of which Barry had been the focal point, had fallen to 1,300,000 tons.
By 1959 coal exports accounted for 514,000 tons.
On the 31st January 1952 H.M. King George VI waved goodbye to Princess Elizabeth and Prince Phillip from the roof of LondonAirport as they left for their tour of the Commonwealth. A week later the country was deeply shocked to hear of his sudden death.
Moving on, it was in 1960 that it was pointed out that some Lodge were charging for drinks at the Social Board, and others might wish to do so. It was further pointed out that this was illegal
And could only be legalised by the possession of a Licence.
Proposed Rules for a Licensed Dining Club were presented, but there was a considerable divergence of opinion between those who did not desire to be associated with any Licensed Club, and those who felt that members should automatically become members of the Club.
After considerable discussion a resolution was placed before the meeting that the Trust committee proceed with arrangements for obtaining a Licence, and that draft rules for the Club be circulated.
The Lodge continued with its Masonic work through the years, New Masters were Installed; Initiates were welcomed into the Brotherhood and progressed through their Masonic Careers.
From 1970 to 1980 this was the decade of Viet Nam, of the Israeli drive into Egypt, of the end of the Conservative government and the fall of Ted Heath. The decade will be remembered for Watergate and Nixon, and for the streaker who ran naked across Lord’s cricket pitch, for Amin, and for the 120 firebricks exhibited at the Tate Gallery. Red Rum won the Grand National for the third time, and violence flared at Grunwick. Khomeini returned from exile, and Airey Neave was assassinated. Britain’s first woman Prime Minister was elected, and Bjorn Borg won Wimbledon for the fourth successive year, while the Pope pleaded for an end to violence in Northern Ireland, and Russian troops invaded Afghanistan. On a happier note Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II celebrated her Silver Jubilee in June 1977.
One interesting point arose on 24th April 1979 when, at a meeting of The Barry Lodge Committee, at the request of the Lodge Secretary, W.Bro T. Bishop raised the matter of the Tyler’s Toast.
It appears that at a meeting of the Lodge of Instruction a member from another Barry Lodge stated that the phrase “And in the Air” should not be included in the Toast.
At a Committee Meeting some years previously it had been decided and approved that The Barry Lodge should keep to its traditional Toast out of consideration for members of the Royal Air Force and Airline Pilots.
The matter was discussed once again at the Committee Meeting held on 12th June, and it was confirmed that The Barry Lodge would retain the tradition of including the phrase “And in the Air”.
It was suggested that it was not always desirable for Past Masters to take too much notice of the opinions of Past Masters of other Lodges, and of their comments on the ritual of The Barry Lodge.
In reporting cases of illness at the Regular Lodge Meeting on the 11th May 1982, it was mentioned that the son of Bro E.T. Williams was a survivor of H.M.S. Sheffield, which was sunk off The Falklands, and although he suffered from shock and concussion was now improving in health.
Time never stands still, and it was obvious that very soon the Lodge would be celebrating its Centenary, many were the meetings held to finalise arrangements, eventually the great day arrived.
An emergency meeting of The Barry Lodge No. 2357 was held at he Masonic Temple, Broad Street, Barry, on Friday 28th September 1990 by Special Dispensation of the Right Honourable the Lord Swansea, D.L., The Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master for South Wales (Eastern Division). This was for the purpose of Initiating Mr John Strain, a duly elected candidate, and to celebrate the One Hundredth Anniversary of the Lodge.
A Presentation Case containing a complete set of tools was presented to the Lodge by the Worshipful Master.
The Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies was admitted and announced that the Deputy Provincial Grand Master, V. Wor. Bro Geoffrey M. Ashe was in attendance and demanded admission. The Deputy Provincial Grand Master then entered the Temple escorted by Officers of Grand Lodge and Provincial Grand Lodge.
Following the successful Initiation Ceremony, the Secretary was requested to read the Warrant of the Lodge granted on the 15th April A.L. 5890, A.D. 1890. also read were the Minutes of the Consecration of the Lodge held on the 11th September, 1890.
A cheque for £2,357.00 was presented by the Wor Master to the Deputy Provincial Grand Master as a contribution to the Provincial Benevolent Fund and 1991 South Wales Eastern Division Festival.
Whilst the Lodge was disappointed that due to unforeseen circumstances the Provincial Grand Master, The Right Honourable the Lord Swansea. D.L. was unable to attend the Centennial Dinner, we were honoured by the presence of the Deputy Provincial Grand Master.
In 1993 another landmark for the Lodge was achieved with the 1,000th Meeting being held, and the Worshipful Master was delighted and honoured to welcome the Provincial Grand Master to both the Meeting and the Festive Board which followed.
Grateful thanks and appreciation must be made to the late W.Bro L.N.A. Davies., C.St.J., M.A., M.B.I.M., P.Pr.G.Std.B. (Shropshire) No. 7133., P.W. No. 2357. for his outstanding contribution to the History of The Barry Lodge, as the author of The Centennial History of the Barry Lodge N. 2357. 1890 – 1990.
Before closing this account of the Lodge, one name must be mentioned, that of W. Bro Alan Ford Thomas., P.Pr.J.G.W.
Lodge Secretary who in October 1998 resigned after thirteen years of devoted service to the Lodge.
Recently Bro “A.F.T.” has not enjoyed the best of health, and it was only fitting that at the April 2007 Regular Lodge Meeting, the ballot proved unanimously in favour of him being made an Honorary Member of the Lodge.
Trevor Thompson. P.Pr.G.R.